Wednesday, April 22, 2009

4/16 class & my demonstration

4/16 class and my teaching demonstration experience

I believe I’ve finally passed the threshold of understanding the purpose of the blogging assignment. While writing my reflection paper on my teaching demonstration, I found myself commenting on the MBA 8-hour sample that was posted for the class to review.

I had so many thoughts on this that I began a different document that, once finished after about 8 minutes, I turned into a blog entry. I’m doing that again right now. Use a word document to write/think/revise and then post a blog. If my blog were worthy, and one day I might have one I believe is indeed worthy, and I could post my individual thoughts out there for anyone in the world to react to, is amazing. No one might see it, but someone may and that person and I could start a conversation. How very cool. I’ve been struggling all semester considering the blog as a diary (or journal if you will) and never felt as if I was doing the reflection thing “right.”

My thinking “out loud” (via this very keyboard that is) about what I’m observing, what I’m reading, and experiencing directly can be a learning tool all in itself. The idea that teachers should be reflective and self-critical – not in a negative way, but in a self-improvement way is genius.

I’m glad to know that the School of Ed master’s program at VCU encourages blogging. And not just for adult education teachers, but for all teachers.

Another insight I’ve developed from this course is the idea of andragogy and the other pedagogy word… There are some who feel adult education requires substantially different skills than K-12 teaching. I agree there are definite differences and distinct strategies and theories must be targeted to both groups. But the idea of teaching not automatically equaling learning or knowing, the importance of active learning, and Vella’s learner-centered focus to instructional design – these concepts/theories I believe should be universal for teaching/training. Not just adult education.

1 comment:

  1. :) Amanda...you really need to look into Bill Muth's ADLT 601 class. If you think this class is an eye opener, that class WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!

    ReplyDelete