Thursday, February 19, 2009

Feb 12th Class discussion/commentary

I was surprised to hear that many in our class did not enjoy the Piskurich text.

I loved it. I like Vella as well. Guessing because Piskurich is so not school of education, he's definitely more corporate america... training. But it works for me. I appreciate the structure.

I was very pleased and proud that my version of my first draft at the teaching philosophy was in line with what was expected than the rest of the class. Made me feel like I might be in the right place. The idea of finding a job/career somewhere inbetween corporate business and academia. I hope so.

As I was reading Piskurich, I've realized I should clarify/define some of the concept terms for myself:
  • Insturctional Design - is just the formal name for a lesson plan
  • Instructional Design theory - ex: adult learning theory, learning styles, cognitive science
  • Instructional Design methods - ID software, learning objective-based design; rapid prototyping; performance support based design; the ADDIE model
  • Training Delivery Methods - tactics: on the job training; tech/web based (CBTs); self-instruction; classroom; lecture...

Another area of interest to me in my 13 years of marketing experience has been market research. It was good to see that the same research tools apply in education, i.e. Piskurich's needs assessment discussions. Another transformational skill I can bring from my old career into a new one. Good.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! What's shocking to me is coming from all this educational research into market research for my dissertation. What? They use this too??? It was a shock on my end! :) Remind me to ask you some questions on Thursday about it. I still have a few lingering...

    ReplyDelete