Thursday, February 26, 2009

Class #6 Feb 19th, posted 2/26/09

I continue to be surprised at how much work goes into quality instructional design. I'm sure poor lesson plans don't, but in order to be effective, efficient, engaging, the teacher must to substantial prep work. As I read through the two texts, abotu the steps required to do this. I know I can do it and appreciate the instruction step by step guiding me. It's something I want to dive into. I equate it to my inability to draft a good marketing plan or write a solid CapitalOne powerpoint deck. For that, I didn't care about finding out how to do it. But for the purposes of presenting & teaching & working with an audience fo students, I'd be much more interested. As long as I'm not trying to influence the audience to my recommended strategy for a marketing problem, I'm in.

As I was reading for tonight's class, about implementation and execution of lesson plans/tasks, I appreciated Vella's idea that a new role for teachers is to sit still & keep quiet in Chapter 7. It resignates with her statement that learning and teaching are not the same thing. How true. But what a new novel concept. I wonder how accepted this idea is in today's education/training industry. In my experience of undergrad & public school, which albeit is near 20 years old, lecture and teacher-giving-insights was the norm.

I'm confused by Vella's very brief discussion on Epistemological questions on page 78... I'll need to do some further research here. She puts significant weight on it, but fails to explain it -- simply says it's "those pricipals and practices" that apply to all educational events.

No comments:

Post a Comment