Thursday, February 5, 2009

Response to Class #3 January 29th

I've observed a Manager Fundamentals 2-day workshop this week at the office, I've notices several parallel theories/directives to what I've heard in class thus far and the readings we've done.

It's karma a bit. Again making me think further about how I might find a career doing something related to teaching/training/facilitating... And the basic premise I'm seeing is representative of what I've learned in marketing framework:
  1. tailor your message to your audience
  2. make sure what you're offering is something that the audience needs/wants/demands
  3. deliver it to your audience in a language that will be understood by audience
  4. you must prepare and think carefully, to craft this message so that you have the highest chance that you'll offer it to someone who wants it, has access to it and will use it
The thing Vella's book & the readings/discussion from class 1/29 adds is the idea of

Regarding the reading by LONG on the adult learner, I felt it was very basic information presented on the learners itself. But I appreciated their recognition that the typical teacher doesn't do #1-4 that well - that the typical teacher is a lecturer - a giver of information and hopes the audience receives it. I like and am impressed by the fact that there is this apparenly new body of AdultEd teaching research recognizing that marketing framework to teaching can aid in knowledge transfer.

The HARVARD video clip was amazing. Realizing there are so many other smart adults out there that know lots of important facts, but missed the boat on the basic structures (electric current; solar system mechanics). I believe that's one reason I decided to take some business classes - after being in the biz world for 10 years, I knew there was much foundation I didn't have and wanted to. Not everyone is a sponge like me, but from that video, looks like they should be.

In my Info Systems class last night, we heard a fellow student, probably 24 years old, talk through his game plan on his new internet startup business. He mentioned that he's kept a journal of all he's learned, thought in the past 6 months. He said he'd started journaling in middleschool and has kept it up. Hoping I can convert this blog into that type of tool for myself to use in the future to look back on the development of my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment