Monday, September 28, 2009

9/28 thoughts before 9/29 Class

One thought.
I must offer complements where due. And I’m pleased to admit that my current company does a good job at intentionally setting forth learning opportunities for its associates – one of the many qualities of a developing learning organization:

  • Have budget and staff devoted to structured learning models (i.e. curriculum tracks for different role categories)
  • Executive Mgmt talks to share knowledge and connect the top with the bottom
  • An official info retention policy – where approved documents must be logged and placed in specified storage sites on a shared server
  • Encourage cross-pollenization of staffers to switch over from one department to another to learn more levels of the company

This is a good start. There is much to do to improve on these activities and bring about more – but it is a good start. I look forward to diving further into my company’s learning organization qualities for the class project further in the semester.

Another thought.
And as a training class junky, I sign up for anything I can get into. This past week I was one of about only 100 staffers who was fortunate enough to listen to a very talented, intelligent and entertaining executive present for 2.5 hours. He offered a rather simple banking 101 ideas, and then explained how they relate to the goals of the company. The most fascinating subject he touched on is cultural integration. He was adamant that integration is correct and assimilation is not when dealing with diverse company cultures.

As he talked about the different wings of the company through merger/acquisitions – we’re a bit disjointed. No one would argue. No one was surprised to hear him say this. But what I found interesting was his stressing that assimilation is not the best way to achieve this. He defined assimilation as allowing each diverse group to maintain its ways – to assimilate into the new whole. Integration he defined as intelligently evaluating each group’s ways and deciding together which is the best, then having all groups adopt that way as the new way for all.

In the era of corporate mergers and acquisitions, the buying company wants to respect the staff of the acquired company and appropriately should work hard to maintain all the learning and knowledge of the acquired company. In doing so, its easy to fall into the idea that assimilation is the best option. If the buying company can find a way to open up the discussion, make the claim that one way must be established but that the decision for which path that is should be a group decision, I agree would be the best way.

And another thought.
As I listened to him discuss the challenges, multi-perspectives, and rewards that will follow a thorough cultural integration, I realized it would definitely be something that would interest me to help drive. As I’m sure tomorrow’s class discussion will surface, cultural integration must be a part of the intentional structures established by a true learning organization. I wouldn’t argue culture is as important as actual business knowledge, but I’d say its important and should be included.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It was actually very refreshing to read about someone complimenting an organization, since we often criticize organizations based on what we think they "should" be doing. Although no organization is perfect, it certainly sounds as though your company is focused on learning and is making some important strides in that area.
    I was able to generate a visualization of information in your company flowing vertically (top-bottom/bottom-top) as well as horizontally between different departments. I love the term "cross pollenization" because it really symbolizing valuable information flowing between different parts of the organization. So, on a light note, do organizations require "bees" to be responsible for distributing that "pollen" to the necessary areas of the company? How does your company share information? What works and what doesn't?
    I also want to comment on your comment about being a "training class junkie." What a wonderful thing! I honestly wish my company had some people who were just that. In my position, I am responsible for staff programs, so I have brough in countless guest speakers, programs, presenters, etc. Sadly though, the employees routinely show very little interest in any training programs, unless they are required to attend. I would love to get some suggestions from you on how to help employees become "training class junkies"! How does an organization show its employees that training opportunities are valuable opportunities? How do you change the mindset from training as a requirement and an inconvenience to training as a privilege and an opportunity? I think it is wonderful that people in your organization, including you, value the opportunity to learn and take advantage of it. Healthcare is a difficult industry because we always have to be concerned about adquate staffing on the floor while others attend training. However, I think if upper management expressed more support for training opportunities, employees would be more likely to view it as a positive opportunity to gain knowledge. So, my question to ponder is how to change organizational culture to value learning so that the individuals in the organization value learning as well? Are incentives necessary, or is the opportunity to learn supposed to be incentive enough?
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda
    Like Megan, I also found it really nice that your company implements different learning opportunties. It is wonderful that your company's leadership understands the importance of "pollenating" the organization with information. It is fantastic that you are able to feed your training class habit. I recall one of my co-workers wanted to sign up for a class and was consistently told that there was too much too to spare someone or another person had to go before her because they were in a team leader position. I really commend your leaderhip for creating a culture of "open learning." What I mean by that term is that it seems that you are not restricted in your ability to feed your desire to learn. I also agree with Megan that many employees do not take full advantage of learning opportunties that their companies may provide. One possible idea is to have employees as part of their evaluation take at least one internal training class per year, even if the class does not pertain to their position. This may help employees see the value of continous learning.

    ReplyDelete