Sunday, September 13, 2009

ADLT 623 - Reflections from Class #3

I’m truly enjoying reading the Nancy Dixon text – The Organizational Learning Cycle (1999). Its surprising if I read an entire page without wanting to highlight or comment on something in the margins. As such, I thought I’d pull a few of these sections out and try to reflect upon them. Here goes:

Regarding external information collection – Dixon comments that “its not the difference itself but the resolution of differences through self-confrontation that is at the heart of learning” (p95). Then further down this same page, summarizes “Difference, as uncomfortable as it often makes us, leads to learning.” Then several instances later on, she spends time focusing on the idea that the dissonance that arises from confrontation in dialogue is where organizational learning occur.

I’m surprised at this idea. I’ve always known diversity is a good thing. But acknowledging that diversity of ideas/thoughts is something essential to organizational learning is an idea that seems foreign to me. Large organizations are institutions in my mind. They are slow to move. They need status quo. Or so I thought.

I like the idea that contempory research and philosophies are putting this forth. Now I acknowledge for quite a while, corporations have “officially” recruited diversity for the influx of different ideas. In my mind however, this was more a PR stunt than an acknowledgement that these different ideas are essential to helping that organization continue to move forward, to adapt, to grow, to learn.

I was very pleased to read Dixon’s example about the innovative hospital who pays its employees to visit other hospitals while on vacation. I’m hoping this type of benchmarking research at the ground level will catch on and become mainstream.

I wonder how I could work to help that evolve. Seems like a huge undertaking when thinking about some of the larger corporations I’ve come to know. But like in grassroots social causes, which I’d bank are more difficult to mold due to budget pressures, one step at a time. I need to think more about this. Maybe my paper investigating a corporate culture, I could position to some of the above.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    I have also been intrigued by the concept of diversity in opinions/information as a strength to organizational learning and development. In some of my past adult learning courses, we learned about conflict and an important concept to learn is that conflict is not always a bad thing. In fact, as much as we all seem to dislike conflict, it can actually be very productive for an organization if it is handled appropriately. When addressed in a productive way, conflicts can lead to a productive discussion acknowledging various viewpoints, experiences, opinions, perspectives, etc. Ideally, a solution can be reached that everyone can respect, even if it was not everyone's ideal choice. I've learned to look at conflict and diversity in a much different way after my adult learning courses. Conflict can actually be very productive if we all learn not to fear it so much, but rather to embrace our differences and try to learn from one another.
    Similarly, the term diversity is so often equated with racial or ethnic diversity that I often think people forget about the other types of diversity. There are many types of diversity present in the workplace, and we can all learn from the multiple perspectives we have at our fingertips. For example, today I conducted a training session for employees. It was a small group, but had diversity in terms of gender, age, years of experience, department, position, race, ethnicity, etc. We had a very interesting discussion and the participants enjoyed interacting with each other and listening to the different perspectives.
    I challenge you to find ways to help your coworkers embrace their differences. I know it is easier said than done, but so many people are hesitant about how to handle differences that they forget about the enormous potential for us all to learn from one another and for the entire organization to learn. Think about the diversity, or lack of diversity, you see in your workplace and how that may be better used to the company's advantage. How do we tap into the resource of diversity?
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I also enjoyed Dixon's comments on how using self-confrontation to not only take a look at our own views but also appreciate and understand the views of others. When people hear the word "confrontation", many will tense up or even walk away from the conversation entirely. However, it is confrontation that makes us take a look at a situation from a number of different lenses. Organizations are slowing grasping this concept. I totally agree with you that organizations are very slow in implementing change. Older executives who display arrogance in their thinking must find a way to come to terms with relinquishing control of using the same concepts for the past 4 decades.

    The one thing about adult learning is that you want to take all of these theories and concepts into your office and say "here this will help us." You mentioned that you would like to apply some of these concepts discussed in Dixon's book to your organization. I understand your desire to make a difference in your company, but organizations are so resistant to change. It's interesting that everyone is talking about the anniversary of the fall of Leahman Brothers, but executives have been taking undeserved bonuses for years. The only reason why all of the financial debacle exploded was because of the hedge funds, shaky loans etc. And in all of that, executives still wanted their bonuses.

    I think the only way to change organizations is to change the people. I agree with you that using Dixon's concepts would be a large undertakng. However, as you said using the concept of establishing a grassroots movement to implement change is the first step. I also think it is up to the institution of academia to continue to address self resolution. The ivy league business schools have a responsibility to help future executives not only examine their views, but others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a very interesting exchange among the three of you; I am wondering what has been most worthwile in these comments from your perspective, Amanda?

    Of all the comments that Dixon makes about the value of differences to both individual and organizational learning, I find the idea of self-confrontation most challenging. Slowing down my own internal processes enough to truly LISTEN to another to adopt his or her perspective and see the world through her ideas is very challenging for me. But I also see how if this could become an ingrained practice for each of us, how much we could benefit and enlarge our own worldviews.

    Great ideas that you have picked up here! tjc

    ReplyDelete