Monday, September 7, 2009

ADLT 623 - Reflections from Class #2

I continue to be incredibly comfortable in this adult education class room discussion. While this is only my 2nd course, and my 2nd session of this Organizational Learning course, it just feels right. Still need to ponder what to do about it - how to turn this interest, curiosity of mine, into a type of paying job, but I figure learning more structurally and theory is a good continued way to go.

And not surprisingly, as the subject of the course is essentially discussion on how organizations can learn, can maintain knowledge, and the struggles it can take, I felt my irritation at 'Corporate America' rise in my head, and in my commentary. Even after 3 years in corporate america, and 10 years in an advertising agency (aka professional business work environment) I'm surprised at my consistent surprise at finding large businesses inefficient, absurd, un-nice, wasteful.

I greatly appreciated Dr Carter's comment to several of the students working in the business world - that if our environments are not as they should be, we would be served best to work to change them to the better or to leave. There are so many things wrong with Company X, but I don't want to have this course turn into a rationalization of that fact. Rather, I'd like to use it as a grindstone or wall perhaps to bounce ideas and possibilities for my making improvements.

While I know I don't feel helping a company make more money is a nobel profession and definitely not something than can give me value, I want to avoid becoming so negative at the business world that i fail to remember/appreciate the benefits it does for society/economy. I want to look at Company X as a opportunity ripe for improvements. See the half full side.

To my mirror classmates reading this first shared post - please forgive my stream of consiousness thougths above. This reflection thing was new to me last semester and I'm still learning the difference between journaling and intelligent reflection. Would appreciate any suggestions/advice at perspective you can provde. Also apologize for my tardiness in posting this until Monday afternoon - I had planned to write & post Friday afternoon once I arrived at my weekend in the mountains, but realized to late that I wouldn't have internet service. If you don't have time to comment before class Tuesday, its completely my responsibility. THanks anyways and see you tomorrow afternoon!

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the Adult Learning environment, as well as the frustrations of Corporate America. I think you will find the Adult Learning program to be a valuable learning experience and it will teach you to view your professional life from a whole new perspective. I'm glad you feel comfortable already. I have been so impressed by the caliber of people in the program and I have learned so much from all of them. I love that we are all similar in that we come from some sort of adult learning/training background, yet we work in all different industries. The different perspectives represented in class make for wonderful, rich discussions.
    I hope that our learning this semester does help you to view your company in a new light and possibly generate some ideas for improvement. My company is trying to change, but it is difficult when some people want to continue to do things "the way it has always been done." I admire people who are motivated enough to brainstorm and suggest new ideas, brave enough to try new ideas, and smart enough to learn from the results, whether positive or negative.
    Whether you work for a "for profit" corporation or a non-profit like myself, you can still find fulfillment in doing a job well and in serving as a valuable resource to your company and your coworkers. All companies face challenges, so I look forward to reading future posts from you about how you think you may be able to help your organization learn and change. What do you think the major obstacles are to organizational learning in your company? What does it do well and what are the major weaknesses? How do you think you will be able to help it change? I agree with that last thought because I also hope to be a resource for my organization in helping it to learn and change. Hopefully our adult learning education will help us to assist our organizations in learning both from successes as well as failures. I think we both know that learning is a complex, continual process, so it will be interesting to see how our organizations learn and where it will take them in the future.
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete